What standard do you practice to?
Comply with the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme – perform External Quality Assurance on your in-clinic analysers.
Although monthly internal quality control is very important in determining the day-to-day performance of a biochemistry analyser, External Quality Assurance schemes have the advantage of comparing individual laboratories with others using the same method.
This is essentially an assessment of accuracy and precision, with the mean value of the participating laboratories being used as the ‘true’ value of the analyte, and is a requirement for the RCVS Practice Standard Requirements Scheme - the Core Standards of which are relevant to all veterinary practices, and state:
7.5 There must be suitable arrangements for quality control (QC) and assurance of automated practice laboratory tests (BP)
In addition to internal QC procedures, quality assurance by reference of internal samples to external laboratories or internal analysis of external samples must be routinely undertaken and results documented.
The inspector will expect to see results of the external quality assurance. The frequency of external quality assurance testing should be related to the number of tests undertaken. It is expected that this will be at least quarterly.
Many other schemes available for the veterinary profession rely on the external comparison of In House Analyser results against Reference Laboratory analyser results for the same sample – a practice that is not only inaccurate but is also not classed as External Quality Assurance by definition.
The IDEXX EQA Scheme however is a true measure of External Quality Assurance, and as an EQA member you will be:
• Sent blind samples which you can analyse on your IDEXX Catalyst Dx® and VetTest®.
• Return your results to IDEXX and we will perform a statistical evaluation comparing your results to those of other participating practices to ensure your IDEXX chemistry analysers are performing correctly.
• Contacted and any issues will be identified and resolved on an individual basis.
EQA membership ensures accurate results and the maximum diagnostic potential from your Point-of-Care equipment.
To register, simply complete and submit the IDEXX EQA Application Form.
The IDEXX EQA scheme provides:
- Bi-monthly serum samples for Chem 17 / GHP and electrolytes
- Simple concise instructions
- Confidential analysis of your results
- Statistical evaluation of results & comparison with other users
- Report returned within 2 weeks of assessment showing result quality, highlighting areas for attention
- Prompt resolution of technical or training issues and access to our dedicated Point-of-Care Technical Support Consultants
IDEXX accreditation & certificate of participation
EQA Scheme Schedule 2013
Return Dates 25th February 29th April 24th June 26th August 28th October 30th December
N.B. A haematology assessment by way of a blood film evaluation is available on request – please call 00800 1234 3399 if you would like any further information.
Retail £309.99 + VAT
A charge of £155 VAT will be payable should you cancel your application after receiving the initial material.
EQA Terms and Conditions
IDEXX External Quality Assurance (EQA), and all materials associated with this will remain the sole property of IDEXX Laboratories Limited.
Payment of EQA annual subscription must be made within 28 days of receipt of invoice.
A charge of £155.00 will be payable should you cancel your application after receiving the initial material.