DPD dispenser for chlorine testing
Use in field tests for free or total chlorine in water for 5 mL and 10 mL samples.
- Dispense reagent with the press of a button.
- Avoid messy powder handling and leftover foil pouches.
- Refill dispenser quickly and easily.
- Eliminates foil packets.
- Recessed mouth fits different sized sample vials.
- Works with wide range of colour cubes, colour wheels, and colorimeters.
- Colour coding distinguishes free and total chlorine tests.
- Dispenses reagent in one quick step.
- Reduces hands-on time.
- Refill vials screw on quickly and easily.
- Eliminates risk of powder trapped in corners of foil pouches.
How EZ DPD works
EZ DPD dispenses a premeasured dose of N, N-Diethyl-p-phenylenediamine (DPD) into a 5 mL or 10 mL sample. The DPD reacts with chlorine in the sample to produce a pink colour change. The intensity of the colour is proportional to the amount of chlorine in the sample.
Colorimetric test kits (not currently sold by IDEXX) allow the sampler to interpret the intensity of the colour change, providing a quantitative measure of the amount of chlorine in the sample. EZ DPD detects chlorine between 0.1–3.5 parts per million (ppm).
How to use
Learn how to use the EZ DPD Test
A GUIDE TO USING EZ DPD
- Fill sample vial (not from IDEXX) with water you wish to test.
- Place EZ DPD over sample vial and press button once.
- Read results according to procedure explained in your test kit.
- To refill, unscrew empty reagent vial.
- Uncap refill vial and screw into dispenser top.
- EZ DPD works with a wide range of chlorine test kits.
Frequently asked questions
Chlorine present as Cl2, HOCl, and OCl— is free available chlorine. The active chlorine in the water for disinfection is also called free chlorine residual.
Combined chlorine is that which is bound to other elements or organic compounds but is still an effective disinfectant. Combined chlorine has been found to be more effective than free chlorine in controlling postdisinfection bacterial growth. Chloramines are an example of combined chlorine.
The EZ DPD Test dispenser will deliver 0.04–0.09 grams of DPD powder each time the button is pressed.
Remove the dispenser from the vial and clean it to dislodge any plugs. This can be done with a swab or other small device. The dispenser can also be cleaned with water. If you clean the dispenser with water, make sure it is dry before putting it back on a vial of reagent.
Resources & Tools
Water Customer Support
IDEXX Technologies Ltd Units 1B & 1C
Newmarket Business Park
Studlands Park Avenue
Newmarket, Suffolk, CB87ER
Tel: 01638 676800